The Church of San Clemente was first mentioned at the end of the XII century. It has undergone various changes throughout the course of the centuries. Its last reconstruction phases occurred in 1782 and 1823. For conservation purposes, the hamlet of S. Clemente was set up to host a collection of sacred art taken from churches throughout the municipal territory. These works include paintings, statues, altar pieces, triptychs, furnishings, decorations and ritualistic objects created from the XII to the XX centuries. Some of these works were created by famous artists such as Niccolò di Pietro Gerini, a master from Montefoscoli.
Other works were produced by talented but unknown artisans. Many of the art objects on show bear witness to the local population’s religious history. While this collection does not constitute a full-fledged museum, these works make for an extraordinary temporary exhibition which takes into account the liturgical function of each of the objects displayed. A dozen works—once hosted in various churches throughout the territory—are now located on the walls of the church’s nave, its counter-façade and above its altars. In two of the presbytery’s display cases, you’ll find liturgical objects. Visitors to the sacristy will find interesting reliquaries and other liturgical objects from the eighteenth century.
Opening hours: by reservation only
Disabled access: no
Contact (ITA): www.beniculturali.it