Piazza degli Strozzi, 50123 Firenze FI, Italy
Palazzo Strozzi, in the historic centre of Florence, is a beautiful Renaissance palaces whose construction began in 1489 under the direction of Simone del Pollaiolo, known as Il Cronaca, on the orders of Filippo Strozzi, head of one of the most powerful families in the city. Filippo Strozzi died before the building was finished and his children were the first ones to live there, around 1505.
After a long period, during which the Strozzi family livied in Rome, the palace was once again inhabited in the mid-1800s, first by Princess Antonietta and later by Prince Piero, who commissioned the building to be renovated by Pietro Berti between 1886 and 1889.
Palazzo Strozzi is a perfect example of the ideals of a noble Renaissance residence and it appears as a small fortress in the heart of the city, a specific request made by Filippo Strozzi himself. It was purposely built to be larger than Palazzo Medici Riccardi, which inspired its square layout, with three floors, each one divided by linear cornices, and central courtyard.