The Opera di Santa Croce Museum in Florence stands next to the Basilica of Santa Croce, in the chamber of the old refectory and in the wing of the convent that separates the two cloisters.
Extraordinary works of art from the Florentine school are conserved here, originating from the very same church and the adjacent cloisters. The refectory once again houses Cimabue's famed Crucifix, painted at the end of the 13th century: it was seriously damaged in the flood of 1966 and only partially saved, but, however disfigured, it remains a testimony to the greatness of the man who, quite rightly, is considered the father of western painting.
Still in the refectory, we move into the 14th century to look at Taddeo Gaddi's expansive fresco of the Last Supper, dominated by the Tree of Life.
Separate frescoes by Taddeo Gaddi and Orcagna, which were rediscovered in the church under the 16th-century plaster, are shown in the adjacent rooms alongside a series of important sculptures, which even include a glazed terracotta from the Della Robbia workshop and the reconstructed tomb of Gastone della Torre by Tino da Camaino. One of the most important pieces is surely the large gilded bronze sculpture representing St. Ludwig of Toulouse, made by Donatello in 1423 for a niche in Orsanmichele, by commission of the Guelf faction.