The church of San Francesco d’Assisi in Grosseto, originally dedicated to San Fortunato, in the 13th century was given up by the Benedictines to the Franciscans, together with the adjoining cloisters. The church, one of the most important in the city, presents a simple façade with a door characteristic by a frescoed lunette, on its side it is overlooked and protected by a wooden tabernacle, above which is a rose window.
The inside has a single nave in the gothic Franciscan style, with a wooden roof. The church conserves various works of art, of which notably includes the celebrated Crucifix made by Duccio di Boninsegna in around the end of the 13th century. Inside you can also find frescos that date back to the 1300s and 1600s.
The construction of Medicean Walls, starting from the end of the 16th century, determined the reduction of the dimensions of the Franciscan convent annexed to the church, and consequently the reorganisation of its spaces.
The most important intervention on the building was the 17th century addition of the chapel dedicated to Sant’Antonio of Padova, frescoed by Francesco Nasini, whilst in 1623 the bell tower was rebuilt which, ruined in 1917 by lightning, was later reconstructed in the same style.