The hermitage is recorded in documents in 1119 and 1124. The church, which dates to 1168, was restructured in the 14th century. The remains of the surrounding wall and two towers, one round and one square, are evidence of a fortification project which took place in 1366 to welcome the populartion of the near by Saint Colomba in a period of war.
The church holds a large fresco cycle which dates to 1360 and was created by the gothic Sienese painter Lippo Vanni. The fresco of the Crucifixion is also worth noting, located in the chapter room and attributed to Giovanni di Paolo in his early period, ca. 1445.
Free with a guided tour
The hermitage is accessible to wheelchair users.
Loc. Santa Colomba
S. Leonardo al Lago
Ph: +39 0577 317012