Inside the Collegiate Church of San Quirico d'Orcia you'll find the wooden choir by Antonio Barili, a work created for the Cathedral of Siena in the period between 1483 and 1504 and transferred here in 1749, thanks to the interest of Flavio Chigi. There were originally nineteen panels placed behind the main altar, each decorated with different figures.
Above the panels, there was an architrave, with a frieze decorated with animal and vegetable motifs above it. The top was enclosed by a cornice. In the seven surviving panels inside the Collegiate Church, we can still observe this structure, but we can only imagine how elaborate it was before the choir was dismantled and dispersed.
The work can be defined as extraordinary in several respects. First of all, for the artistic quality of the inlays in which Barili evoked the effect of colour in a pictorial connotation through the use of wood. There's also a documentary aspect as this work allows us to learn more about the craft of the carver. Finally, it's possible to consider the choir as an attempt for third dimension, with chiaroscuro obtained through combinations of small portions of wood of different shades and subtle incisions that recreate curls and locks of hair.