Hamlets, districts and squares
This dynamic piazza is at the heart of life in Grosseto.
The cathedral, dedicated to Saint Lorenzo, was designed by the Sienese architect Sozzo Rustichini at the end of the 13th century, as is noted in an inscription on the church's facade. Inside visitors will find the venerated “Assumption of the Virgin with angels” by Matteo Giovanni (ca. 1470) and a 15th century wood crucifix attributed to Vecchietta.
The bell tower on the left side of the cathedral is dated to 1402, but it underwent a significant intervention at the beginning of the 20thcentury.
The Palazzo Aldobrandeschi, one of Grosseto's most important palazzi, is also located on this piazza. The palazzo was built on a pre-existing Medieval structure which was the residence of the Aldobrandeschi family. It was later transformed into apartments and workshops until 1898 when a petition signed by 500 local citizens convinced the Province to buy the building and transform it into civic offices.
At the centre of the piazza is a monument dedicated to Grand Duke Leopold II of Lorena, known as the Canapone, which presents an allegory of a dying Maremma which the Grand Duke resuscitates, offering it a new future.
Strolling through the Maremma's main city
Grosseto is a beautiful city nearly on the edge of the Tuscan region. It is known as the political and cultural center of the Maremma – Tuscany’s wilder, coastal territory, often overlooked by tourists. It’s an ideal base for exploring the surrounding hilltops and sea sections, and has a family-friendly tranquility, as well as unexpected surprises. ...Morekeyboard_backspace