We leave from the meander near Gonfienti, with its Etruscan village that was unearthed during building work on the Interporto and ride as far as the large square where the Fiera di Prato fair is held every September, which is part of the Festività della Madonna celebrations focused on fire and games.
Continuing along the strip of red asphalt, we come to Ponte Petrino, one of the oldest bridges over the Bisenzio, which was probably built around the 1st century BCE and is connected to the old foothill pass between Vaiano and Vernio. A little further on, along the via Firenze you can catch a glimpse of the football stadium, designed in 1939 and completed in 1943, according to the tenets of the rationalist architecture of the era.
Further on, we reach the tree-lined gardens that lead to Prato Centrale station, which was opened in 1934 with the Direttissima railway. It’s a striking three-storey building, whose notable windows stand out in the core block. The complex refers to nineteenth-century architecture dictates with strong classical references, as seen in the vast mosaic floor adorned with the symbol of the railways.