Situated in Valdarno, between the course of the river and the hills, the territory of Rignano sull'Arno is made up of many hamlets scattered through the countryside, interspersed with Romanesque parish churches and cultivated fields. Its origins are certainly ancient, as evidenced by the Castelluccio finds, archaeological excavations that date the first settlement to 1086, soon coveted by Florence for control of this strategic area.
Striking, throughout the Rignanese territory, are the churches, which formed the central core around which the settlements were built.
Among the most distinguished buildings is the church of San Leolino, probably among the oldest Romanesque parish churches in the Florentine countryside. It stood on a detour of an ancient and busy Roman road, the Cassia vetus, later renamed the strada dei Sette Ponti; today it is secluded from the city center. The interior is divided into three naves by solid quadrangular pillars; striking are the hexagonal baptismal font of glazed terracotta, attributed to Santi Buglioni (c. 1510-1520), and the valuable works that the parish church has preserved: a fragment of a fresco of the Madonna known as "of the Consolation," by Bicci di Lorenzo, and a Coronation of the Virgin by Cenni di Francesco. Following restoration, a late 15th-century circular stained-glass window from the church of Santo Stefano alle Corti was placed here, its design attributed to Perugino or his workshop.
A non-religious building that draws attention is the Tower of Pian dell'Isola, a watchtower and fortress that later became a stately home.
Also originating in the 11th century is the parish church of San Lorenzo a Miransù, erected on the remains of an ancient Roman fortification not far from the town of Rignano. The oldest element is probably the bell tower.
The Monastery of Santa Maria, in the small village of Rosano, dating from the year 780, is probably among the oldest abbeys in Tuscany. A number of works are preserved here as well, such as the Cross painted with stories of the passion (12th century), and two Annunciations, one by Giovanni da Ponte and one by Jacopo di Cione, from the mid-14th century. Another noteworthy church is that of San Piero in Perticaia, from the year 1000. The early Christian crypt is interesting, with a space that over time served as an ossuary. Also attached to the church is the cloister, whose arches surround a well placed at the center.
The Via di Francesco passes through Rignano, a set of paths that connect places related to the life of St. Francis of Assisi in Tuscany, particularly the stretch from Florence to La Verna.
The territory of Rignano sull'Arno, which falls within that of Florence and the Florentine Area, has a clear agricultural vocation, and the hills are mainly devoted the viticulture - we are in the reference area of the Chianti GCDO - and olives, for the production of extra virgin olive oil.