The museum is housed in buildings adjoining the Pieve di San Piero in Bossolo, and contains items of historical and artistic interest from various places of worship in the surrounding municipal area.
In the central room on the ground floor there are works from the country parish church of San Piero in Bossolo. The pleasing collection of paintings include: a Madonna and Child attributed to Meliore; a Madonna and Child by Rossello di Jacopo Franchi; a panel with the same subject by Lorenzo di Bicci; a similar series of panels executed in 1473 by Neri di Bicci, including: a Madonna and Child Enthroned and a Lamentation over the dead Christ; a 16th-century Madonna and Child between San Martino and San Sebastiano executed by a painter who with this work earned himself the name of the Master of Tavarnelle; and a Madonna and Child and San Giovannino by Empoli.
In the cases there are items of sacred silverware, some of which are of great historic and artistic value, including the 13th-century processional crosses, the gold-plated and enamelled copper chalice from the 14th century and the chalice of Nicola de Angelis dating to 1706. There are also two cases devoted to the “embroidery of Tavarnelle”, an ancient local art; there are both church vestments and domestic furnishings. In the second room are works from the parish church of San Donato in Poggio. There are a number of fine paintings: a 14th-century triptych attributed to Ugolino di Nerio; the Madonna and Child between the Archangels Raphael and Gabriel by the Master of Marradi; two Saints by Giovanni Montini and other Florentine School works from the 18th and 19th centuries. The vestments and artefacts include silverware by Zanobi Biagioni, a goldsmith working in Florence at the end of the 18th century. The museum also has a room given over to popular devotion and worship, with the display of a series of silver and gold-leafed wood reliquaries. Finally, in the corridor of the priest’s residence there is a selection of ancient liturgical fabrics and a section devoted to figurative documentation of popular worship in the area.