The Sanctuary of Romituzzo in Poggibonsi is an ancient place of worship dating back to the 14th century, when it was chosen as a spiritual retreat for several devout women, called Romite, and a Sienese painter painted a picture of the Madonna della Neve in a tabernacle. Popular devotion to this image led to the construction of an oratory in 1460.
It was, however, around the middle of the 16th century that the oratory reached the peak of its splendour, following a number of miracles that, according to tradition, were performed by the sacred image. Numerous worshippers came to Poggibonsi to visit the sanctuary, and the money offered allowed for a series of enrichment works: the brick bell tower was built around 1570, as was the portico. The influx of donations was so great that it became necessary to erect a stone pillar in front of the altar, which collected the donations and made them flow into an underground room.
Today, many anatomical ex-votives are exhibited in the church. There are approximately 5,000 papier-mâché pieces dating from the 16th and 19th centuries, and about 90 painted tablets, which are currently hanging on the walls of the church and testify to the popular devotion linked to this special sanctuary.