Pieve di Chianni
Chianni, 50050 Gambassi Terme FI
The Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Chianni, or more simply Pieve di Chianni, is located in the territory of Gambassi Terme along the route of the Via Francigena.
The church has historic origins; it's known that it was the twentieth stop of Archbishop Sigeric's journey from Rome to Canterbury, documented in his diary as XX Sce Maria Glan.
From the information that has come down to us, it was discovered that at the beginning of the 11th century, the parishchurch included a cloister (of which no trace remains today) and that over a century later its construction was not yet finished. Around 1220, in the taxes established by Gambassi, a quota was foreseen for the completion of the church.
The Pieve di Chianni was under the control of the bishops of Volterra for many centuries, who used to carry out inspections to check the conditions. In the 1500s, the structure was determined unsafe and underwent extensive renovations, which was followed by numerous other interventions.
In spite of this, it's still possible to note the Volterra influence in the aesthetics of the building, found in the style of the workers and bearing similarity with the Cathedral of Volterra.