Tuscany official tourism website ©2023
The civic or clock tower in Castelnuovo Berardenga is one of the symbols of the village and its history. This was in fact one of the seven towers erected in 1526 to reinforce the 14th-century town wall following the resolution of the Balia Council.
Once all defensive functions ceased, the walls and towers were finally torn down in the late 18th century to make way for the imposing construction of the Villa Chigi Saracini complex. Only the current tower was spared to be transformed into a civic tower, where the first clock was placed in 1763 and the current one in 1896. From the top of the building it is possible to enjoy the magnificent landscape that sweeps from the Crete to Chianti.