Download the leaflet
Attributed to the young Leonardo da Vinci by professor Carlo Pedretti, the "Announcing Angel" of the Parish Church of San Gennaro in, the Lucca region, is the largest of the sculptures ascribed to the Genius of the Renaissance.
The statue, recently restored by the Opificio delle Pietre Dure, will be the protagonist of an exhibition hosted in the new Leo-Lev Exhibition Center in Vinci. Called If it was an Angel by Leonardo ... The Archangel Gabriel of San Gennaro in the Lucca region and its restoration by Ilaria Boncompagni, Oreste Ruggiero and Laura Speranza.
The 131 cm high polychrome terracotta sculpture representing the Archangel Gabriel had already been attributed to Verrocchio's school by the art historian Ludovico Ragghianti in 1958, before being recognized in 1999 by Pedretti as an early work by Leonardo da Vinci. Executed at the end of the fifteenth century and located in the Parish Church of San Gennaro in Capannori (Lucca), the Work of Art was seriously damaged in 1773 when, according to some documents, it fell to pieces after being hit by a staircase.
The restoration, financed by the Leo-Lev Center and lasted less than a year, was carried out by the Ceramics, Plastic and Vitreous Materials Sector of the Opificio delle Pietre dure in Florence, under the direction of Laura Speranza. The Opificio has also created a faithful copy of the terracotta Angel, through the 3D scanning of the Work and with the analysis and recovery of the original pigments by using the same pictorial technique; they have therefore obtained a sculpture identical to the original Work as if it had just come out of the hands of the artist who produced it.
The Angel and his reproduction are displayed on the first floor of the complex, where visitors can take advantage of multimedia contributions dedicated to the statue, its restoration and to the creation of the copy. A special film illustrates the return journey of the Da Vinci Angel through the Valdinievole to the Romanesque parish church of San Gennaro, where it will be placed again at the end of the exhibition.