Via delle Ville, 282, 55100 Lucca LU, Italia
Villa Oliva in San Pancrazio is one of the greatest examples of Mannerist architecture in the province of Lucca and vaunts characteristics that distinguish it from other buildings. The villa contains two large halls in the central part of the building, facing north to south, and its characteristic two-story loggia, with single columns made of stone from Matraia. After the Buonvisi, which died out in the 19th century, the villa passed into the hands of several people before finally reaching the Oliva family, who renovated the building. In the 1600s, the villa was home to a consistory backed by Cardinal Francesco Buonvisi and attended by Pope Alexander VII, born Chigi, and numerous cardinals.
The particular visual effect produced by the large porch clearly shows the influence of Florentine architecture, especially that of Ammannati, the architect behind the renovation of Palazzo degli Anziani in Lucca (1578-1581).