The church has a Latin cross plan and a central cupola, which is decorated with flakes of slate stone. These reflect and re-distribute the natural light that illuminates the church. Its construction began in the late- 17th century by the architect Innocenzo Bergamini (1685-1731) in an area that had a fortified wall on one side, and was situated near the slopes of Monterosso on the other side. It has a façade with a portico that is adorned with figures. The façade was designed by an artist that worked in the workshop of Carlo Finelli. The scenes depicted include the liberation of the souls from Purgatory by the Virgin Mary. The church has one nave and is decorated in a Baroque style. It also features many different types of marble and white marble statues, undoubtedly creating a scenic effect.