The first document attesting to the castle is dated in 1075-1076. It was listed as one of many properties owned by the Aldobrandeschi family in the Maremma. It was included in the list of properties owned by the Guelf counts of Sovana-Pitigliano, when some of these lands were divided up by Ildebrandino VIII in the 1200s. The castle was destroyed by Siena’s Ghibellines in circa 1260, but after the subsequent victory of the Guelfi counts of Aldobrandeschi from Sovana, the castle was almost completely rebuilt. At the end of the 13th century, the castle passed into the ownership of another Guelfi aristocratic family. Again in 1328, the Sienese army destroyed the castle, lead by the commandant Guido Riccio da Fogliano. This event was immortalized in the famous fresco that still exists today in Siena’s Palazzo Pubblico.
(Article by Comunità Montana Colline Metallifere)