Teatro dei Rassicurati, in the historical centre of Montecarlo, looks similar to the adjacent buildings on the outside. Yet, inside, it is one of the smallest theatres of Europe and reproduces the structural and environmental characteristics of the “Teatro dell’ Opera” of the 18th and 19th centuries.
The 18th-century style oval auditorium comprises 22 boxes divided into two tiers, for a total of about 200 seats. The decorations are polychrome with geometric or floral motifs, with eclectic style cameos and drapes.
Two plaques on the inside are a reminder of the passage of two illustrious figures: the poet Giuseppe Ungharetti, who spoke in defence of the theatre when it was threatened by destruction, and Giacomo Puccini, who usually attended the theatre when he visited his sister who was working as a governess with a family in the area.
It was founded in 1795 when its construction was entrusted to the Florentine architect Antonio Capretti, thanks to the efforts of the Accademia dei Rassicurati (an association present on the territory since 1702). The Accademia continued with its theatrical activity until 1922 and, when it disbanded, it donated the property to the village.
During the 19th and 20th century, the Theatre that had gone through various restorations and safety interventions saw a large part of the repertoire of Italian melodrama performed on its miniscule stage: Rossini, Bellini, Donizetti, Verdi, Paisiello, Monteverdi, Puccini, Cimarosa.
Concerts, prose and amateur theatre performances as well as drama school activities managed by the Associazione Ottavo Laboratorio continue here all year round.