Pasquini Castle

This historical castle has changed hands many times over the years and is now a cultural centre in Castigliocello

Via Aurelia, 634, Castiglioncello
The Baron Lazzaro began the construction of the Pasquini Castle in 1889 on the land he acquired from Diego Martelli. Martelli had been forced to sell his properties in Castiglioncello and Castelnuovo because of several economic hardships. The Luparini family oversaw the construction project. The castle was built in neo-gothic style following the example of Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. This new project replaced the old farmhouse belonging to Diego Martelli which had inspired the paintings of the “Macchiaioli” artists from the so-called “Scuola di Castiglioncello” (see, for instance, the paintings of Giuseppe Abbati “Castiglioncello” and Odoardo Borrani “Orto a Castiglioncello”).The Martelli farmhouse, all the rural appurtenances and the enclosures were demolished while the adjacent land was transformed into a romantic-style park (typical of the age) to adorn and to protect the privacy of the new residence. A Gate Keeper’s house was built at the entrance of the drive, along the walls of the castle. Its curvilinear structure echoes the gothic style of the castle. In the park near the castle there is a small circular chapel in “coppedé “ style. The Patrone castle was built on the external walls of the farmhouse including its old structure, so that, today it is difficult to tell the difference between the original foundations and the new ones. Some years later, even stables were built inside the castle park, as a substitution to those in the Piazza della Vittoria which were successively sold to private citizens. The Baron Patrone offered his own lands to build the Railway Station on the strict condition that the new building echoed the style of the castle without, of course, being more beautiful. The people of Castiglioncello objected to the Baron’s constructing project for a racecourse and other buildings, so that in the end he was forced to give away all his properties in Castiglioncello and Castelnuovo. In 1938 he even sold the Castle and the Park. In the late 1940s the Castle became property of the Pasquini family whose name is maintained today. This family carried out important renovation work, especially in the park, where its wild and romantic aspect was altered with the addition of a tennis-courts, bowling green and a dance floor. At the beginning of the 1980s the Castle was in quite a state of neglect and was acquired by the town council and turned into a cultural centre for theatrical and dance performances, exhibitions and conferences. Since 1980 the following main restoration work has been carried out: the rebuilding of the roof, the renewal of the third floor (the former servants’ rooms), a new equipped conference hall in the north wing at the second floor and the adjustment of the structure and facilities in compliance with actual regulations. A ‘Tent-Theatre’ has been built in the park besides the Castle, while the old chapel is now a coffee bar.

Piazza della Vittoria,1
57016 - Castiglioncello

Weekday opening hours: from 10.00 a.m. till 12.00 o' clock

Source: www.costadeglietruschi.it
A paradise for sports lovers and history buffs
An ancient Etruscan village near the Livornese mountains, Castiglioncello is a world-renown tourist resort, known as the ‘Pearl of the Tyrrhenian Sea’. Visitors are sure to enjoy its protected bays and clean beaches or the chance to stroll along the pinewood forests that characterize its coastline. ...