The Church of Santo Stefano is a building in Florentine Renaissance style dedicated to the patron saint of Lamporecchio, located in the street that bears the name of the Saint. The structure was built between 1900 and 1921 by the architect Bernardini, on a pre-existing 14th-century church, of which, however, only the bell tower remains.
What makes the church a place of significant artistic value are the works contained within it. Paintings, wooden sculptures and terracotta can all be found. Some of these works are by unknown artists, but not less valuable for this reason. There is a noteworthy late 16th century oil painting on a panel depicting Christ on the cross with the Saints James the Great, Francis and Anthony Abate at his feet. There is also an impressive 17th-century painting portraying the Madonna and Child together with Saint Dominic and Saint Catherine of Siena.
Other works that can be found include a polychrome glazed terracotta altarpiece by Giovanni della Robbia that lies between the naves of the church, a 17th century wooden Crucifix, a canvas attributed to the school of Cignani and, finally, and possibly most importantly, the altarpiece featuring the Visitation of the Madonna to Saint Elizabeth.
Among the hills of Montalbano, exploring the Brigidini homeland
Lamporecchio is located in the Valdinievole, in a territory softened by rolling hills. It’s position is rather fortunate, as it’s halfway between two important nature attractions, the Fucecchio Marsh and the hills of Montalbano. ...