1. Finocchiona PGI is produced using only fresh meats, certified and controlled from pigs genealogically Italian registered at birth (pigs can also be grown outside Tuscany).
2. Finocchiona is made by grinding three fresh meat cuts: bacon, shoulder and lean pork.
3. The minced meat is mixed with salt, garlic powder, pepper, salt and fennel seeds and optionally red wine in quantities which may vary enabling manufacturers a degree of freedom in crafting their own recipe handed down by their ancestors.
4. Subsequently the mixture is stuffed into natural casings and closed with string.
5. Finocchiona is put out to dry and age, the duration of which varies according to weight: at least 15 days for a 500 g to 1.5 kg finocchiona to 45 days for a 6 to 25 kg product.