La rocca di Ceserana e Fosciandora
location_cityArchitecture

The Fortress of Ceserana and Fosciandora

Medieval structure well worth a visit

Fosciandora
The fortress, of Ceserana is located on a terraced hill on the left bank of the Serchio Rivier near the village of Lupinaia. A medieval structure, it was an important refuge in war times during the 13th and 14th centuries.
 
Almost vertical walls built out of river stones support a walk way for patrols and are punctured by small openings for shooting out at enemies. Two towers stand guard at the entrance of the village and look over the hills surrounding the village.
 
Between 1467-74 the fortress was renovated to satisfy the demands of evolving warfare technology after the introduction of firing arms. In the following century, however, the fortress was abandoned and became the rallying point for a group of brigands who used it as a point-of-operations for their raids on the surrounding countryside.

In 1614, as the conflict between Lucca and Modena escalated, a project was suggested to restore the fortress which was in terrible condition at that point, but the work was never completed since Lupinaia withdrew from the conflicts.
  
Fosciandora
Dominated by the Apennine range and the Apuan Alps
Fosciandora, by nature a border land between Garfagnana and Lucchesia, Tuscany and Emilia, but through the ages especially between Massa, Lucca, Pisa, Florence, Ferrara and Modena, has always been under the authority of the various lords, with its own territory divided into different ownerships up to the 19th century. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace
You might also be interested in