The museum of St. Andrew’s Collegiate in Empoli is one of the oldest ecclesiastic museums in Italy and is of great importance for early 15th century late Gothic and Renaissance painting. It’s first location was in the St. Lawrence chapel, adjacent to the church, while today the museum is in the rooms attached to the Collegiate.
The main nucleus of the collection is built from a selection of works from the Collegiate’s church, the Benedictine monastery, private donations and other surrounding churches.
Inside, there are masterpieces by Filippo Lippi, Masolina da Panicale, Lorenzo Monaco, Francesco Botticini, Antonio Rossellino, Jacopo Chimenti and many others.
Amongst the most important works is the detached fresco of a pietà of Christ by Masolino da Panicale, dating back to 1424, the Madonna with child by Giovanni Pisano from 1280, originally from the Collegiate’s sacristy, and the Madonna with child by Mino da Fiesole, that was positioned on the inside of the façade.
Also worth seeing, the Humble Madonna by Lorenzo Monaco, from 1404, originally from the Church of San Donnino and the Madonna enthroned by Filippo Lippi, from 1430.