Piazza Boccaccio, 53, 50052 Certaldo FI, Italia
The Museum of Sacred Art in Certaldo is located in the historic centre of Certaldo Alto, between Palazzo Pretorio and the House of Boccaccio, within the adjacent building and the cloister of the Church of Santi Jacopo e Filippo, whose origin dates back to the 12th century. The church, which houses the tomb of Blessed Giulia, the patron saint of Certaldo, and the tomb of Boccaccio, was once an Augustine convent from the beginning of the 15th century until 1783.
The main gallery is one of the various sacred museums which have been opened in the Florentine province to gather works of art belonging to the churches of the surrounding area. Here you can admire historic paintings from the 13th to the 16th century, among which are the triptych depicting the Madonna and Child with Saints by Ugolino di Nerio, the polyptych by Puccio di Simone, the Madonna and Child by the Maestro del Bigallo and the Madonna by Meliore.
Precious jewellery, sacred vestments and the reliquary-bust of Blessed Giulia created by Paolo Laurentini in the 1600s are also on display.