The “Giovanni Michelucci” Centre for Documentation is housed in a room at the town hall in Pistoia and conserves a significant number of drawings, plastic models and tracing papers that attest to the work and research of the great architect Giovanni Michelucci from the beginning of his career to the projects he carried out in the final years of his life.
The central part of the collection is made up of around 900 drawings, all sketches in pen, marker and pencil on drawing paper. The architect’s career is distinguished by important works like the Church of San Giovanni Battista, located on the highway outside Florence, the church in Longarone, the Cassa di Risparmio in Florence and the headquarters of the Monte dei Paschi in Colle Val d’Elsa, spaces that symbolically attest to the values of humankind.
Giovanni Michelucci left his mark on Pistoia as well, where he designed the Commodity Exchange building (1949-50), the Church of Collina in Pontelungo (1953-54), the Osteria del Gambero Rosso in Collodi (1961-63), Villa Iozzelli (1971-74) and many more, which were all ordered, photographed and brought together at the Centre, with the aim of providing every possible contribution to study and research initiatives, and accompanied by a bibliography about Michelucci.
Accessibility information: musei.comune.pistoia