The subterranean Chapel della Compagnia della Santissima Annunziata was probably built during the expansion of Chianni’s parish church in the early years of the eighteenth century.
It owes its importance to the decorations which cover both the large barrel vault and the lateral walls, a cycle of frescoes painted by the Pisan artist Giovan Battista Tempesti in 1739: the vault includes depictions of the Almighty, the Nativity of Christ and the Assumption of the Virgin. Monochrome figures of the four prophets – Isaiah, Habakkuk, David andMicah – inhabit the corners of the central scene, while varnished plaster statues of the Angel Gabriel and the Madonna stand on the altar, which dates back to 1750.
A medieval village ideal for foodies in the Pisa area
Chianni is a medieval Etruscan town, and was once disputed between Volterra’s bishop and the Republic of Pisa, before finally passing under the Florentine dominion at the beginning of the 15th century. ...