The Casa Carducci museum was founded to highlight the link between the poet and the village of Castagneto Carducci. The writer's father, the doctor Michele Carducci, practiced his profession in Bolgheri from 1838. However, due to his progressive ideas which created conflict with the more conservative population, he was forced to move to the quieter Castagneto in 1848, where they lived until 1849.
Giosuè Carducci returned to Castagneto often as an adult, hosted annually by the Espinassi Moratti family between 1879 and 1894. This was the era of the ribotte, a long and cordial precursor to his attachment to the Maremma.
Young Giosuè's time in the residence is remembered by the commemorative plaque placed above the facade of the building. The interior rooms and furniture, made available by the heirs of the previous owners, are intended to evoke the discreet charm of the historic family furnishings that were the background to Carducci's presence in Castagneto.