The Acciaiolo Castle in Scandicci, more commonly known as the Acciaiolo, is a monumental complex made up of the old villa plus its park and garden.
Behind the power of this building, a centuries-old story is hidden starting, according to documents, in the 14th century, when the Rucellai family owned the area, one of the most important families in Florence who owned land all over the countryside.
Then the castle was under the name Calcherelli and served a military function. In the following century the ownership of Acciaiolo was passed to the Davizzi family, whose coat of arms still stands on the north tower, and in 1546 it was bought by Roberto Donato Acciaioli – which is where it got its name.
During this period the fine architectural elements which still make it stand out today were added, like the entrance, the staircase, the large fireplace on the ground floor and the ceiling coffer.
However, the military structure from the 14th century has remained largely unchanged, although the castle has dropped its defensive function. In fact, during the two centuries when it belonged to Acciaioli, the castled reinforced its role as a noble residence strictly linked to farming.
The original chapel dedicated to the Holy Cross dated back to the 18th century, it is an example of late baroque work, one of the few in Florence, constructed by the Gentile-Farinola family, successors of the Acciaioli.