The Tuscan Archipelago consists of seven wonderful islands, treasures of beauty and biodiversity, history, archaeology and traditions, set in a crystal clear sea.
A true natural paradise protected thanks to the establishment of the Parco Nazionale dell’Arcipelago Toscano, whose protection covers a stretch of sea of more than 600 square kilometers.
“Vivere il Parco” is the annual calendar that gathers the events to enjoy this precious treasure, to walk it, touch it, explore it, draw it, breathe it, taste it, navigate it, delve into it and love it!
An extensive and varied program of initiatives and events divided by categories (children’s activities, nature-watching, hiking, geo-experience, discover the sea, trekking with tasting, nature and history trekking) and seasons:
- Winter in the Park (February), to explore the Archipelago even in winter
- Spring in the Park (March - May)
- Summer in the Park (June - September) and Summer in the Park Junior, with children’s activities
- Fall in the Park (October - November)
Also within the program is included the Walking Festival, an important hiking event held in the months of May and October in Elba, Capraia, Giglio and Giannutri.
The largest island in the Archipelago offers an extensive program of events for all seasons and ages.
Throughout the year, regular guided visits, meetings and workshops for family are organized at its Visitor Centers (Marciana, Lacona, Rio nell’Elba and Portoferraio).
In addition to specific focuses on Volterraio Castle and the Mining Park, there are special initiatives on the occasion of the European Week of Parks, the Sea Essence International Festival (June 30 – July 2) and World Oceans Day – Whale Watching (June 8).
In Capraia, some initiatives are planned in spring and fall, while in summer the calendar has a weekly trend, with events every day:
- Monday - sea watching experiences and workshops for children
- Tuesday and Wednesday - events to explore the island in all its nuances
- Thursday - events to experience the sunrise and learn about Rete Natura 2000
- Friday - focus on the island’s products, with an eye on history and night sky observation
- Saturday - initiatives dedicated to sea creatures and the village of Capraia
- Sunday - day of sunsets overlooking the sea
In addition to some spring and fall initiatives, the summer calendar includes events for adults and children divided according to days of the week:
- Tuesday is dedicated to geology
- Wednesday is dedicated to children and discovering the island’s natural treasures
- Saturday is dedicated to trekking under the stars
Nature treks, carriage tours, mountain biking and sea kayak tours, snorkeling trips accompanied by underwater environmental guides inside the biologically protected zone, guided visits of the House of the Agronomist, the Geological and Archaeological Science Museum and the Catacombs are organized on the island, former agricultural penal colony and former maximum security prison.
Excursions are scheduled daily from March 15 to October 31, and according to the availability of marine connection during the remaining part of the year.
Excursions along the Archaeological Trail and Naturalist Trail are organized from spring to fall, as well as daily excursion with boat departure from Porto Santo Stefano and historical/naturalistic tour of the island.
At last, with regard to the small islands of Gorgona and Montecristo, due to their unique status as the site of a penitentiary the former and State Natural Reserve the latter, visits are specifically restricted and regulated and always by reservation.
Montecristo: excursion from March to June.
Gorgona: excursion from March to October.
Here the full ‘Vivere il Parco 2023’ program
For information and reservations: www.parcoarcipelago.info