Risotto with lard, mushrooms and pecorino
Colonnata lard is a traditional cold cut from Colonnata (a town in Carrara) cured in local marble tanks. It should be served just melting on hot pieces of toast or used as an ingredient for delicious meals as this risotto with mushrooms and Pecorino.
- 400 grams of rice
- 5 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 80 grams of lard
- 50 grams grated pecorino cheese
- 30 grams of dried mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- Water to taste
- 1 / 2 cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onion in extra-virgin olive oil, add the rice and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well. Add the wine and once it’s evaporated, add the previously soaked mushrooms; as the mixture cooks add hot water as needed.
- A few minutes before removing the rice from the stove-top, blend in the lard strips and grated pecorino.