The art of making ceramics has had its heart in Montelupo since the Medieval era, but during the Medici period the town became a true productive center, and a key reference for the whole of Florence. The great fortune of this center is directly connected to its location along the valley of the Arno river with its rich clay deposits, which are indispensable for ceramic production. Today everyone uses ceramics, but long ago they were a sign of status; noble families had the privilege of enjoying them. When a young person from an important family got married, entire services of more than a hundred pieces were ordered from the craftsmen.
The ceramic tradition in Montelupo still flourishes today with its many artisans bringing life to the center of town and making ceramics in both traditional styles and more contemporary ones.
This itinerary is 7.5 km long.
The business involved in this itinerary include:
1. Venturi Vasco - Via Castelmartini 29, 50056 Capraia Fiorentina Capraia e Limite FI
Traditional Tuscan Terracotta production
2. Le Ceramiche del Borgo di Eugenio Taccini - Via 20 Settembre, 56, 50056 Montelupo Fiorentino (FI)
3. Ceramiche d'Arte "il Castelluccio" - Via Maremmana 76, 50056 Montelupo Fiorentino FI
4. Ceramiche Mori - Ceramiche Mori
Production and decoration of artistic ceramics
5. Ceramica Nd-Dolfi - Via Deruta, 1, 50056 Montelupo Fiorentino FI.
Handmade and individually designed ceramics