This year we have collected in a single place all the info that you may need for your Christmas in Tuscany. It should be considered a work-in-progress post because many events are updated until the very last minute. Tuscany becomes even more fascinating during Christmas time, when towns and villages are decked out in light and colours and the atmosphere is festive wherever you go. Events, concerts, markets and nativity scenes are the undisputed symbols of Christmas holidays.
Christmas Markets in TuscanyAlmost every city, town and hamlet in Tuscany has its own festive market of some sort. Here we'll mention some of the biggest and most famous Christmas market in Tuscany:
Weihnachtsmarkt in Florence from December 2 to 20, 2016One of the most famous Christmas markets in Tuscany is the Weihnachtsmarkt, German for Christmas market, in piazza Santa Croce in Florence with crafts, food, beer and mulled wine from all over Europe. It runs from December 2 to December 20.
Christmas is “across the Arno” (Natale è Oltrarno) in Florence from December 8 to January 6, 2016The Oltrarno includes three neighborhoods of Florence: Santo Spirito, San Niccolò and San Frediano. This area will be dedicated to Christmas until January 6, with stands that will be open from 10 am to 10 pm. If you want to be original and discover something different, go beyond the tourist trail and spend "One day in Oltrarno." Official website (ITA only): www.nataleafirenze.it
"Mercato del Campo" - Market in Piazza del Campo, Siena on December 5 and 6, 2016On December 5 and 6 in Piazza del Campo, Siena, you can find over 150 stalls with crafts and food excellences as was done in the Middle Ages. Facebook Page: SienaMercatonelCampo
Collodi and the Pinocchio Park from November 6 to January 6, 2016The Pinocchio Park welcomes Christmas! From November 6 to January 6, you can reach Collodi with a dedicated bus that leaves from the House of Santa Claus set up at Castle of Terme Tamerici in Montecatini Terme and arrives at the park dedicated to the famous character created by Carlo Lorenzini, Pinocchio.
Serra Pistoiese on December 5 and 6, 2015Serra Pistoiese, in the municipality of Marliana welcomes you with stalls, necci (made of Garfagnana chestnut flour) and hot donuts, nativity scenes and toys for children on December 5 (from 3 pm to 7 pm) and 6 (from 10 am to 5 pm).
Santa Claus’ villages in TuscanyThe highlights of the Christmas season are also the Santa Claus’ villages. Let's see where you can find them.
Carrara - from November 26 to 29, 2015From November 26 to 29 Carrara brings together the second edition of "Bimbiinfesta", a show dedicated to the world of children, and "Regaliinfiera," the Christmas market where you can find every kind of gift. Exact location: Viale Galileo Galilei, 133, 54033 Marina di Carrara MS Official website (ITA only): www.carrarachristmasvillage.com
Chianciano Terme - from November 6 to December 27, 2015In Chianciano Terme (Siena province) there is a Christmas market with Santa Claus’ village and handicrafts from November 6 to December 27.
Montelpulciano - from November 21 to January 6, 2016In Montelpulciano, from November 21 to January 6, 2016, there is a Christmas village in Piazza Grande, piazzetta Danesi e in Via San Donato street featuring the Santa Claus castle, markets, "The Toy Factory" exhibition, an antique carousel, a mini ranch with ponies, the ice skating rink and a giant electric track for toy cars. Official website (ITA only): www.nataleamontepulciano.it
Arezzo, city of Christmas from December 4 to 27, 2015.Arezzo will offer more than a simple Christmas market! Until December 27 the whole city will be involved in the celebrations. Nativity scenes of all kinds will be exhibited in Piazza della Badia. From December 4 to January 8, you can visit the Christmas market in Piazza S. Jacopo and Piazza Risorgimento. From December 4 to December 27 in Piazza Grande, Arezzo hosts the first edition of the Tyrolean market. Twenty-five booths, which will be open to the public every day, from 10 am to 9 pm from Monday to Friday, and from 10 am to 10 pm on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. On December 12 and 13 and from December 19 to 24, Piazza Guido Monaco hosts an exhibition of creative works and crafts. Don't forget that the first weekend of every month there is also the Antique Market in Arezzo! Official website (ITA only): cittadelnatale.comune.arezzo.it
Pisa - December 4 to 8, 2015In Pisa, from December 4 to 8, Palazzo dei Congressi becomes Santa Claus’ factory, where you can find a market and send a "letter" to Santa.
Montecatini Terme - from November 21 to January 6, 2016Until January 6, 2016 the Castle of Terme Tamerici in Montecatini Terme is turned into Santa Claus’ home. Here children can write and send letters to Santa, attend educational workshops featuring animals, and there are also food events. Official website (ITA only): http://cittadelnatale.it/
Italian nativity sceneThroughout Tuscany there are many nativity scenes and you can find some of the best ones in the smaller towns such as Palazzuolo sul Senio, Cigoli, Castelfiorentino, San Godenzo, Bettolle, San Giovanni Valdarno, Scarperia and San Miniato Basso. Read more about "Nativity scenes in Tuscany."
Museums for Christmas in TuscanyMany museums will be closed on December 25 but they will be open during the Christmas week. For example, the Uffizi Gallery and Accademia Gallery at the others State Museums – such as Bargello National Museum, Medici Chapels, Pitti Palace, Palazzo Davanzati Museum – will be close on December 25, but they will all be open on December 24 and 26. Keep following us for updates!
Christmas in the kitchenLet's see what you can taste during Christmas time in Tuscany and how can you bring the flavors and feelings of Tuscany to your table:
List of all the Christmas events in Tuscany:
- From November 6, 2015 to January 6, 2016: Santa Claus’ home in Montecatini Terme (Pistoia).
- From November 6, 2015 to December 27, 2015: Santa Claus’ village in Chianciano Terme (Siena).
- From November 21, 2015 to January 6, 2016: Christmas Village in Montepulciano (Siena).
- November 26/27/28/29, 2015: Carrara Christmas Village.
- November 28/29, 2015: Oberdrauburg christmas market in Signa (Firenze).
- November 29, 2015: Porciano and the Tastes of Christmas in Porciano di Lamporecchio (Pistoia).
- From December 2 to 20, 2015: Weihnachtsmarkt, traditional german market (Florence).
- From December 4 to 27, 2015: Arezzo, city of Christmas (Arezzo).
- From December 4, 2015 to January 6, 2016: Abbadia, city of torchlights in Abbadia San Salvatore (Siena).
- December 4/5/6, 2015: Open Cellars for Christmas (Full program in ITA only).
- December 4/5/6/7/8, 2015: Santa Claus’ factory in Palazzo dei Congressi, Pisa.
- December 5/6, 2015: Market in Piazza del Campo, Siena.
- December 6, 2015: Craft Market at Volognano Castle in Rignano sull’Arno (Firenze).
- December 6/8/13/20, 2015: Arts, Crafts and local food in Pescia (Pistoia area).
- December 6/8/13/20, 2015: Christmas market in Palazzuolo sul Senio (Firenze).
- December 8, 2015: Santa Claus’ village in Monteriggioni (Siena).
- December 8, 2015: Immacolata market in piazza SS. Annunziata square, Florence.
- From December 8, 2015 to January 6, 2016: Christmas Village in Florence.
- December 13, 2015: Christmas market in Rosignano Marittimo (Livorno area).
- From December 18 to 20, 2015: Charity Market at Palazzo Corsini in Florence.
- December 25, 2015: Christmas market in S. Spirito square, Florence.
You might also be interested in