The mining area in the Val di Cecina has a long industrial tradition. The mines – which were operative until 1907 – were exploited by the Etruscans, the Medici and the Grand Duchy of Tuscany; they had their heyday in 1888 when the Società Montecatini was established (this then became Montedison), named after the town. The Museo delle Miniere museum, housed in the 14th-century Palazzo Pretorio, bears witness not only to the industrial civilization but also the social rights won by the miners: in the town of Montecatini Val di Cecina, in the mid-1800s regulations were drawn up for young workers, assistance was given to widows and orphans, teaching was guaranteed for the miners’ children and a welfare fund and school for girls were set up.
The museum’s document centre houses the historic archive of the activities that made Caporciano the richest copper mine in Europe between 1827 and 1907: publications on the underground resources and administrative papers (wage registers, records, correspondence) and technical documentation (maps and gallery profiles, drawings of ma- chines, equipment and buildings). In addition, the museum also gives an overview of the great many underground resources Val di Cecina has, and their uses: copper, rock salt, the snow-white stone alabaster, lignite and the sulphur springs. It is possible to see the splendid mosaics made using chalcedony (a variety of microcrystalline quartz) and the museum’s rich collection of minerals. The visitor trail also includes the Caporciano mining area – with the shaft known as Alfredo (the main copper ex- traction site), the mine entrance (with the ad- ministration offices, the inclined shafts and the galleries) and the Muraglione dam, built for the mine’s water requirements.
There are teaching laboratories on the mining professions. Please respect the mining museum regulations. For logistical reasons, only the first part of the gallery can be visited.
The management provides a helmet and waterproof jacket for the gallery visit.
From 1st February to Easter: Sundays 3.00pm-6.00pm. From Easter to 2nd November: Saturdays, Sundays and pub- lic holidays 11.00am-1.00pm and 3.00pm-7.00pm; from Wednesday to Friday 3.00pm- 7.00pm.
Rest of the year: upon reservation only.
Document centre (visit to the museum without guide during opening hours or upon reservation): € 3,00. Guided visit to the mining area (during opening hours and upon reservation): adults € 5,00; children aged 6 to 12 and the over-65s: € 3,00. Guided visit to the mining area, document centre and old town centre (upon reservation): € 8,00.
In Italian, English and French. Included in the ticket price.
There are two easy trails: Visit 1, galleries: 20 min, 100 m; Visit 2, mining area: 45 min, 1100 m.How to get there
From the north: A1 motor- way, Scandicci exit; FI-PI-LI main road to the Pontedera exit; then the SR 439 road in the direction of Volterra. A12 motorway, Rosignano exit; then the SR 68 road in the direction of Volterra. From the south: Aurelia SS 1 road, Cecina exit, then the SR 68 road in the direction of Volterra. Train: From Cecina to Saline di Volterra, 4 trips per day. Bus: CPT bus service: Volterra-Montecatini route, 5 trips per day; Sita bus service: Cecina-Saline di Volterra route, 6 trips per day.Information
Museo delle Miniere di Montecatini V.C. - Centro di documentazione Piazza Garibaldi, 1 Montecatini Val di Cecina (PI) - Area e strutture minerarie Loc. La Miniera
Montecatini Val di Cecina (PI)
Museo delle Miniere di Montecatini Val di Cecina - Tel. +39 0588 31026 - Comune di Montecatini Val di Cecina Tel.+39 0588 31611 • Fax +39 0588 31026-31615 email@example.com
Cooperativa Viaggio Antico - Tel. +39 349 8663567 -
+39 0588 85311
Apt Pisa - Tel. +39 050 929777 Fax +39 050 929764www.viaggioantico.comwww.pisa.turismo.toscana.it