Caprese Michelangelo owes its name to Michelangelo Buonarroti, sculptor, painter, architect, poet, and engineer of the High Renaissance who was born here in 1475, at a time when his father Ludovico was the town’s authoritative figure. It is on the Apennine ridge, in the greenest area of the Tuscan Val Tiberina. At the beginning the village was called only Caprese, but then, with the Royal Decree of February 9, 1913, the name Michelangelo was added to the old one, referring to the Great Artist’s birthplace.
The memory of Michelangelo still lives today in the Church of St. John and inside the castle walls that hosted the Michelangelo Museum: the Birth House, Palazzo Clusini, today the seat of the Municipality, the Stronghold Rooms, in which old plaster moulds from the Florentine galleries can be found, and the striking open-air Sculpture Museum.
The traces of this intense history can still be admired today in Caprese’s most significant monuments: the medieval stronghold, built in the 10th century; the Camaldolite Abbey of Tifi; the Parish of St. Cassian, exalted by the expressive power of its atmosphere; the romantic church of St. Christopher and the Sanctuary of the Madonna della Selva.
The place is also connected to the passing of St. Francis during his travels from Assisi to the Sacred Mount Verna: you can still admire the Church of St. Polo, the Chapel of Zenzano, the Monastery of the Casella.
Read more about Caprese here. More about Michelangelo on Tuscany Arts.