The reclining statue, with half-open eyes and a choir of angels all around her to sing her to sleep, is of Ilaria del Carretto, the daughter of the Marquesses of Savona, who after reaching Lucca in 1403, coming from closeby Liguria, married her 17 year-old daughter to Paolo Guinigi, lord of the Lucca. Their marriage was then followed by the birth of their first-born Ladislao. Only two years later, on 8th December 1405, Ilaria died during her second childbirth. Paolo believed that the young beauty of Ilaria deserved the same honor reserved to a queen or to a saint; therefore he decided to transform her beauty into a sculpture. By employing Jacopo della Quercia - a sculptor whose art was known for its fine and gentle expressions as well its classical and solemn execution - he finalised his love for her forever in this marble representation.