The historic centre still has traces and artworks of inestimable value, like the church of San Jacopo, built in 1100 AD during the period of the ‘Ordine degli Ospitalieri’. This church has a beautiful façade made of smooth stone on the bottom and white and green marble on the top, enriched by a lunette and two lions at the entrance. The imposing bell tower next to the church was built around 1280 and still maintains a medieval-fortress style. The most splendid part of the historic centre is the Piazza degli Ospitalieri, which features an interesting octagonal-shaped water well. Today the square overlooks the Library and some buildings belonging to the municipality.