Castiglion Fiorentino is a walled town located just 18 kilometres from Arezzo. The area of Castiglion Fiorentino was settled in the mists of time, but an important town was developed in the Etruscan period, between the fifth and the fourth centuries BCE. An Etruscan wall was found underneath the current Piazzale del Cassero as well as the remains of an Etruscan temple under Sant’Angelo, one of the town’s churches. The walls, including the main entrance to the town’s historical centre Porta Fiorentina, were erected in the 13th century. Castiglion Fiorentino is renowned for the Etruscan archaeological site and for the nine-arch loggia in piazza del Comune overlooking the valley, constructed by Vasari in 1513. The Cassero, which is the town’s fortress, was used as a convent and later as a prison. Visit Castiglion Fiorentino during the famous Palio dei Rioni on the third Sunday of June, a horse race around Piazza Garibaldi, including a display of the ancient custom of flag-waving.