Tour to discover the "Balze" of the Valdarno at sunset
Geological itinerary to discover one of the most mysterious landscapes of Tuscany, for the All Saints' Eve...chills guaranteed
We will discover the famous crags of the Valdarno at sunset, for a proposal of great scenic impact, fun and suitable for everyone!
A riot of bizarre shapes formed by clay sediments and subsequently shaped by external agents, a phenomenon that attracted the attention of Leonardo da Vinci who made the background in the Mona Lisa.
Lands of great charm and mystery, from the springs of sulphur water to the findings of prehistoric animals, the Balze will be the absolute protagonists of our evening. We will immerse ourselves in the twilight atmosphere of dusk, watching the "Camini delle Fate" illuminate under the last lights of the evening.
This easy panoramic loop hike may present some slippery during the first part in case of rain. Starting from Castelfranco di Sopra, we will walk along the "sentiero dell'Acqua Zolfina", inside the natural area "Le Balze". We will descend the "Borro delle Fossate" entering a lush valley where alders and white willows stand out, to continue on a dirt road through undulating vineyards to Botriolo, where we will approach the characteristic geological formations that for conformation and colours reminiscent of the more famous North American parks such as Bryce Canyon.
The chromatic contrast between these "Camini delle Fate" and the underlying vineyards is something unique. we will make a detour to the characteristic village of Piantravigne, from where we will enjoy an incomparable view of the "Balze".
Continuing our journey we will walk along the "Borro dell'Acqua Zolfina", a watercourse with opaque colour as evidence of the presence of sulfur and between the last glimpses of the "Balze" we will go back to Castelfranco to visit the village.
The tour will take place on Monday 31th October, from 5 pm.
In this proposal:
- Castelfranco di Sopra, one of the most beautiful villages in Italy
- The Natural Protected Area of the "Balze" of the Valdarno
- Piantravigne and il "Canto" of "Inferno"
- The sunset on the "Balze"
- Assistance of environmental hiking guide legally qualified under L.04/2013 and L.R. 86/2016
- RCT policy
Note: does not cover damage from random accidents derived only as a non-exhaustive example, stumbles, slips or falls from overcoming obstacles. With the registration, the participant took vision of the program and the regulation, which form a single inseparable object implicitly acknowledges to be aware with express waiver of recourse.
- RCT policy
Anything not mentioned under "Prices Include" section
- Length: 10 km
- Difficulty: easy hiking
- Difference in altitude: 300 meters positive
- Route type: ring, landscape, geological and historical interests
- Meeting point: Castelfranco di Sopra at the Post Office parking lot, located in Via Aretina
- What to bring: packed lunch, 1,5 litre of water per person, hiking or trail shoes, long pants, layered clothing (microfleece, windproof, shell or k-way), cap, backpack and charger.
and no-show policies
The guide reserves the right to make changes to the excursion to ensure the safety of the group, or to cancel the excursion in case of bad weather and/or alerts.