The fountains of Volterra and the Palio dei Caci
A panoramic tour to discover the historic city of Volterra and watch the city Palio
We propose with this offer a soft trekking experience through the historic city of Volterra to the Balze natural area, a real balcony on the Val di Cecina.
We will walk along the ancient Etruscan walls passing through the famous Porta all'Arco and admire the "Docciola" and "San Felice" Fonte, precious functional and architectural works. Then we will admire from above the Roman Theater and the typical Piazzetta della Pescheria; finally from Porta San Francesco we will head towards Montebradoni and the Camaldolese Abbey in the Balze Area to enjoy the views.
After a short break we will head back to the wall walkway arriving at Piazza dei Priori to watch the typical Palio dei Caci, a "historical" event where you will see the wheels of tasty cheese produced in the Balze Volterrane tumbling pursued by the "runners" of the eight city districts who will compete in a battle of wooden paddles, deftly circumventing the straw obstacles, to bring their form in the shortest possible time to the finish line.
The tour will take place on Sunday, October 22, starting at 09:00.
- Organization and Assistance of Environmental Hiking Guide legally licensed under L.04/2013 and L.R. 86/2016
- RCT policy
Anything not listed under "Prices include" section
- Distance: 10 kilometers
- Difficulty: E, easy
- Height difference: 220 meters positive
- Start: 09:00
- Dogs allowed (communicate at the time of booking to verify that the maximum number recommended for the hike has been reached)
- What to bring: sack lunch, water 1 liter each, mandatory waterproof hiking shoes, long pants, layered clothing (micro fleece, windproof, shell or k-way), hiking poles, beanie, backpack for daily load, charger
and no-show policies
- The guide reserves the right to make changes to the excursion to ensure the safety of the group or to cancel the excursion in case of bad weather and/or alertness
- The tour will be conducted upon reaching a minimum of eight individual participants or private group