The villa of Catignano was probably built by order of Lodovico Sergardi, a noteworthy humanist also known by the pseudonym Quinto Settano (1660-1726). The villa has a rectangular floor plan, which spreads out onto three continuous levels, with a small extension that suggests an ‘L’ shape. With regards to the interior, visitors will particularly notice the entrance hall on the ground floor which is characterized by three stone columns that support an entablature bearing the Segardi family’s coat of arms. On the first floor, you’ll find rooms with painted architectural features, decorated attics and visible beam supports in both wood and plaster. The Italian style garden, which can be accessed thanks to two flights of steps, is divided into three sections. The first is characterized by a series of ornate flowerbeds and spherical hedges; the second hosts a vegetable garden and apple orchard. The garden’s third section features a hedge-maze. The chapel of Santa Croce was built in 1697. Rich decorative elements characterize its internal walls. On the far wall and altar visitors, will appreciate a series of sculptured works representing the story of the True Cross.
The vast territory is close to the evocative Crete Senesi
Castelnuovo Berardenga is at an altitude of 351m and has a population of approximately 7000 inhabitants. The town takes its name from Count Berardo, a descendant of the Count of Siena Guinigi who governed over the city during the second half of the IX century. His family moved to the country when they lost control of Siena. ...Morekeyboard_backspace