In 1881, Stefano Bardini, a prominent antiquarian and collector, commissioned the building of a neo-classical palace – in which building materials and monumental items from churches and noble residences were also employed – to house a museum for his collection of sculptures, paintings, furniture, ceramics, tapestries, arms and musical instruments. Amongst the works, which range from the Roman age through to the 18th century, are pictorial and sculptural masterpieces such as Charity by Tino di Camaino, the so-called Madonna of the Cordai (‘rope-makers’) by Donatello and a Saint Michael Archangel by Antonio del Pollaiolo. The Galleria Corsi, situated on the top floor of the palace, contains about 700 paintings from the 14th to the 19th centuries.
Via de’ Renai 37 - Tel. 055 2342427
For advanced reservations: Firenze Musei, Tel. 055 294883, costs € 3,00 per person (€ 4,00 per/for Galleria Uffizi or/and Accademia); School groups: Tel. 055 290112. On-line ticket sales: www.firenzemusei.it.