The historic Palazzo Taglieschi is located in Piazza Mameli, once known as Piazza del Borghetto because of its central location. The palazzo still keeps the name of the Taglieschi family, the richest family in this area in the 15th and 16th centuries, even if it had different owners beginning in the first half of the 1500s when it passed into the Angelieri family. In subsequent years it passed on to the Testi and Lisi families until 1881 when it went into a period of decline. After World War II the palazzo provided housing for the needy. In the 1960s a restoration process was begun, returning the palazzo to its original, aristocratic glory.
The Renaissance structure joins two pre-existing Medieval tower houses. While the overall structure is decidedly Renaissance, some Medieval elements can still be found, such as the pointed windows on the side of the building, the cross-vaulted storage area inside, the terracotta semi-pilasters and stone floors. The building was probably commissioned by Matteo di Antonio di Bartolomeo Taglieschi, better known as Matteo Cane (Matteo the Dog). His patronage was recorded in a sculpted dog's head on the small column at the corner between the facade and the side of the building that flanks Via Garibaldi. The column can still be seen, but the dog's head and the Taglieschi coat-of-arms are no longer legible.
The collection includes stone objects, frescoes, sculptures, paintings, bells, interior decorations, liturgical vestments, keys, and agricultural tools. In addition, the palazzo itself is an important example of 15th century Valtiberina domestic architecture.
Via Mameli 16
Ph: +39 0575 788001