Suvereto
account_balanceMuseums

The San Giusto Civic and Parochial Museum of Sacred Art, Suvereto

Paintings and decorations from the church and other sacred buildings in the town.

Suvereto
The San Giusto Civic and Parochial Museum of Sacred Art is housed in the oratory of the Confraternità della Misericordia e del Sacramento which was built in 1881 and then renovated in 1988 in order to turn it into a museum. The oratory is next to the Romanesque church of San Giusto in the town of Suvereto. The first documented evidence of a church on this site dates back to the tenth century and the building itself dates back to 1188. The museum is home to works of art and religious items from the church of Suvereto and from other churches in the surrounding area. It’s a good idea to combine a visit to the museum with a tour of the church of the Madonna di Sopra la Porta, an eighteenth century building in which there is a wonderful painting of the Immaculate Conception. From here, it’s possible to go on to the sixteenth century Oratory del Crocifisso.

Opening hours
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays 5pm – 7pm. From 15th June to 1st September also from 9pm – 11pm
Entry fee: Free
Disabled access: Yes

Contact information
piazza Vittorio Veneto 3
Suvereto (Livorno)
Telephone 0565 829923
E-mail suvereto.comune@etruscan.li.it
 
Suvereto
True Tuscan jewel set in the hills overlooking the coast
The town is a splendid medieval village whose origins date back to before the year 1000. Situated on the slopes of the hills overlooking the Costa degli Etruschi, it is a true jewel, rich in history and art, set in the green valley of the River Cornia. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace