Inside the fortress is located the Archeology Museum of Garfagnana where the early history – from the Bronze Age onwards – of this area is documented, paying particular attention to the Apuan Ligurians.
Ligurian presence in the Garfagnana is documented as early as the 13th century BCE, and by 250 the Serchio Valley was densely populated by the Ligurians and Etruscans. The two cultures established commercial relations which helped to establish both peoples in the region.
STATE OF CONSERVATION
Town Hall until the end of the Second World War, the Rocca of Castelnuovo was heavily bombed in 1944 the original structure was seriously damaged. The subsequent restoration has drastically changed the original aspect of much of the complex.
The Rocca now houses administrative offices, a historical archive and an archaeological museum with archaeological finds from the upper Serchio valley.