The fortress, or rocca, of the powerful degli Estensi family of Ferrara was built in the 15th century and is located at Camporgiano. Much of this and the rest of the city's glorious past as an important medieval centre has been lost in the major earthquake which hit the Garfagnana and Lunigiana regions in 1920.
A residential villa was built near the still visible base of the fortress and was used as a bomb refuge during the second World War.
Today the fortress is a private property, but the interior is open for visits. It provides space for the Ceramic Museum of Camporgiano which includes in its collection the precious Renaissance ceramics which were found in the castle's well after the end of the war and which were later restored.
The fortress can be visited year-round with reservations made at least one week prior.
From June 1 – August 31: Saturdays 3pm-6:30pm; Sundays 10am-12:30pm and 3:30pm-6:30pm.
Piazza S. Giacomo
Ph: +39 0583-618888-89