The Parish Church of San Gennaro in Capannori was rebuilt during the 12th century atop a previous structure and its geographically strategic position, on the border between the Lucca plain and the Valdinievole, aided in the formation of a village surrounding the building throughout the Middle Ages.
To this day, the church preserves its three-nave medieval structure and original decorations, aside from the apse section, which displays consistent 18th-century interventions. The ornate capitals are worth pointing out, as well as the marble pulpit from 1162 and the façade’s rich decorations.
The parish church furthermore conserves a terracotta statue portraying the Archangel Gabriel which has recently been attributed to Leonardo da Vinci by professor Carlo Pedretti. Leonardo in fact had stopped over in the area while undertaking his studies in hydraulic engineering.