The Palazzo Orsini Museum in Pitigliano is a collection of sacred art housed in the splendid rooms of the 14th-century palace, construction of which began in the 12th century by the Aldobrandeschi family: in 1312, the building passed to the Romano Orsini family, under whom it was fortified with three circular towers connected by perimeter walls. In 1465, the palace was enlarged for the marriage of Niccolò III Orsini, and in 1520, the structure was further fortified under the direction of Antonio di Sangallo the Younger. After passing into the hands of the Dukes of Tuscany, it was given to the Sovana diocese in 1793.
The museum brings together works of silver and gold, coins, wooden sculptures, panel and canvas paintings, precious textiles, funerary materials, manuscripts and medieval books.
In one of the palace’s rooms, historically called the room of the Loggette, is a cycle of portraits of the Orsini family and a series of paintings depicting the Madonna and Child by Jacopo dalla Quercia, Madonna and Child by Guidoccio Cozzarelli, a wooden statue of Niccolò III and paintings by Francesco Zuccarelli.