fb track
Scarperia, Palazzo Vicari
location_cityHistorical Buildings

Palazzo dei Vicari in Scarperia

The symbol of the village is now home to the Ferri Taglienti Museum

Map for 43.996044,11.355045
Scarperia

The Palazzo dei Viari in Sparperia has 14th-century origins but has undergone extensive restoration and transformation over the centuries. Even now, the façade of the square has traces of the dominance of the Medici family, featuring the coats of arms of the various members of the family who ruled over the Republic of Florence at different times in history. The building consists of a massive elongated central body with protruding furnishings (due to a modern refurbishment on the section facing the piazza) and it is fitted with a scarp base.

Today, it is home to a valuable historic archive and the Ferri Taglienti Museum, dedicated to the craftsmanship that has set Scarperia apart since the Middle Ages.

Inside the Palazzo, you can admire a magnificent fresco from the workshop of Ghirlandaio in 1501, as well as the ancient clock of the bell tower, made by the genius Filippo Brunelleschi.   

Info: prolocoscarperia.it

Scarperia
Founded at the beginning of the XIV century with the name of Castel S. Barnaba, is known as "la Scarperia"
In the following century Scarperia became the seat of the Vicar of Florence and grew economically thanks to its position: this town is in fact found on the main road that connected Florence to the trans-Apennine towns of Bologna and Imola in the Middle Ages. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace