The museum is located in the tower of the Radicofani fortress which was built in the 11th century and enlarged by the Sienese in the 1300s. The fortress is best known for its ties to Ghino di Tacco (end of the 13th century-beginning of the 14th century), a gentleman brigand who was written about by Dante and Boccaccio.
The fortress was in the hands of the Republic of Siena and was the last bulwark in the war against Florence. In the second half of the 1500s the Medici transformed it into an imposing fortification, but abandoned it after the powder magazine exploded in 1735 almost completely destroying the fortress. Restoration begain in 1989 returning the fortress to its original splendour.
The small museum traces the history o fthe castle and the archeological investigations which took place during the restoration. The walls and walkways of the Fortress are also open to the public, including the terrace of the tower which offers a wonderful view of the Valdorcia.
Ph: +39 33141033031