fb track
Piazza Cavour a Borgo San Lorenzo

The Faini Mill in Borgo San Lorenzo

A small museum to document the milling tradition in the Mugello area

Map for 44.014426,11.407066
Borgo San Lorenzo
The museum was opened thanks to funding from the European Union and the local administration, in collaboration with the Mountain Community and Erci Group. The mill already existed back in 1400. It was bought in 1780 by the Faini family, which still owns it today and manages the museum. The mill is located along the road that leads to Casa d’Erci and it is labeled with a sign after 800 meters from the main square in Grezzano.

The museum has six sections. The first section, which contains informational placards and copies of original historical documents, is located in the arcade, where workers filled and emptied bags of wheat. Section two explores flour and the foods of the past and the sounds of the production machines. Section three is where a grinding machine grinds and separates the wheat and flour is made. Section four displays old accounting documents, scales, sifters and other equipment and utensils.

An interactive audio recording plays in section five. Here, visitors can listen to the daily sounds of the working of a mill. Finally, section six illustrates the workings of the hydraulic turbine.

Opening Hours:
Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, from 3pm to 7pm.
The museum is open every afternoon on all holidays. To visit the museum outside of regular opening hours, call: 3312111598.

Ticket Price:
Free entrance

via di Grezzano, 70
Tel.: 0558492580; cell. 3312111598
E-mail: biblioteca@comune.borgo-san-lorenzo.fi.it
Borgo San Lorenzo
a country town dotted with churches In the heart of Mugello
Borgo San Lorenzo, one of the best-known towns in the Mugello area, is situated where the Sieve Valley is at its widest. Developed around the court of the Ubaldini family, in a place where the Roman village of Annejanum once stood, the town fell under the influence of Florentine bishops in the mid tenth century, against which the locals rebelled in 1273, when the municipality gained ...